Sunday, January 9, 2011

Making a Difference for $30 a month

More than 2,000 children under 5 died in Guatemala during the first 10 months of 2010 as a consequence of illnesses caused by malnutrition, according to a report presented Friday by the national ombud's office.
The report is based on statistics of the Epidemiology Center of the Public Health Ministry covering the period from Jan. 1-Oct. 31, 2010.
"It's worrying that mortality from hunger is double that of deaths from violence. Thousands of children are estimated to be at risk and there is no sufficient effort being made to save them from this grave situation," ombud Sergio Morales told the media.
Eighty-four percent of the youngsters died at home, without any kind of medical care, according to the report.
Most of the children died of respiratory infections and diarrhea, ailments caused by high levels of malnutrition.
Ministry figures show that one in every two Guatemalan children under 5 suffer from malnutrition, as a consequence of the poverty and extreme poverty in which more than 52 percent of the country's 14.4 million inhabitants live.
Most of the children who died were concentrated in provinces that make up Guatemala's "dry corridor," a strip that runs through the country from east to northeast, which during the last two years has suffered intense droughts blamed on climate change.


Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/lifestyle/2011/01/07/guatemalan-kids-died-hunger-year/#ixzz1AapZZWmC

The above story was taken from FoxNews-Latino. It broke my heart. It broke me because I have loved on these kids, prayed for these kids, and told others about these kids. I choose to spend my vacations in Guatemala rather than the beach, because I know the impact it has on the people there. And it's because Jesus has called me to do it. The desire in my heart to witness to the people of Guatemala is huge. I never thought that one trip would change my life like it did. I have made friends that I won't ever forget, have hugged and kissed on children whose faces won't ever leave my mind, and I have watched people see the hope in Christ.

Clubhouse Guatemala is growing. There are 5 operating feeding centers, with children available to sponsor in each one. For $30 a month you can sponsor a child in Guatemala. They will receive a meal 3 days a week, school supplies, medicine, and immediate family needs will try to be met as well. So, not only is just one child being ministered to, but a whole family. Your sponsor child will write you letters, and hopefully you will have the desire to write back. They LOVE hearing from you. If you are interested in sponsoring a child through Clubhouse Guatemala, please visit the site to learn more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment