Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Closet Full of Clothes

I have a large walk-in closet. Inside it, are three racks of clothes. On top of one of the shelves is a large Rubbermaid with even more clothes. My bedroom has a tall chest that houses even more clothes. There are times when I complain of having nothing to wear. There are times when I just HAVE to have another pair of shoes or another purse.

We all have those times. Times of oblivion to the world around us. 


We were able to put on one clothing tienda in an area that was heavily hit by the tropical storms after the volcano erupted. Many people lost their homes, their clothing, and everything they had. Many of the teams that come down to minister alongside Clubhouse Guatemala bring down clothes and shoes that we use to put on the tiendas. At this particular tienda we passed out mounds of clothing and a ton of shoes. Every family member that walked through the clinic got 2 pieces of clothing, a pair of socks, and a pair of shoes. We were able to bless so many people with clothing and shoes.

If you had the chance, would you clean out your closet?


It hit me while I was passing out clothing to these sweet people that I have a closet full of things that I don't wear. Items that I pick over because they aren't the right color or because they don't look good on me. How selfish is that? Pretty darn selfish when I witness people with nothing smiling over some hand-me-down articles of clothing and once worn shoes.

My goal throughout the year is to send Mike and Carla 10 suitcases of clothing. I know what just 2 suitcases weighing 50lbs can do for a ministry. I know, for one, because I lugged them around two airports.

 My challenge to you, as readers, is to do something drastic for the cause. You know you have nice clothes that you haven't worn in months. Would you consider donating them to a ministry area? I'm not asking for them, because there are plenty of areas right down the street that need items for people here in our country. People sometimes ask, 'why don't you just do something local?' I do. I donate to my area Salvation Army and Knoxville Area Rescue Ministry. If God lays it on your heart to give to Clubhouse Guatemala, by all means, please feel free to contact me. Leave a comment or send me an email.

Right now, our biggest need is shoes. Mike and Carla have come into contact with several people who have been given their very first pair of shoes by Mike and Carla. Some of these people are in their 50s, 60s, and 70s. That is not an exaggeration to pull at your heart strings. I wish it was. Because for me to sit here on a comfortable couch, with 3 visible pair of shoes in sight, makes me a little sick to my stomach. Sure, I am blessed. Blessed beyond measure. Now, I want to bless others.

I want to forget about my wants and focus on others needs.
Because let's face it.
 Who really needs 20 pairs of shoes...when there are children and elderly people walking dusty, rocky streets in their bare feet? 
I had to post this picture. I took it from Mike's pictures on Facebook. The story behind this little man walking home...For 71 years this man did not have shoes. Mike and Carla met him at a tienda that they were doing about a week ago. Before that day, he had not had shoes since he was 7 years old. Can you imagine 71 years of walking the streets barefoot?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment